storm, an owner’s refrigerator was not running and contents had spoiled. The
repair company found the fan motor, inverter board and control board had burned
out and had to be replaced. Repairs cost $1,923 and spoilage totaled $170.
Covered costs: $2,093.
An appliance repairman called in when a homeowner’s gas stove wouldn’t light
discovered the igniter had physically broken. Since the stove was 15 years old,
no replacement part was available. The gas stove was replaced with a new one.
Covered cost: $720.
A wall oven would not turn on. After troubleshooting, the repair
company determined the circuit board which controlled the operation of the oven
had shorted internally and the electronics could not be repaired. The circuit
board was replaced. Covered costs: $972.
owner came home to find water soaking his flooring and cabinets. Investigation
revealed the dishwasher's inlet valve had broken and water had continued to
run, damaging the kitchen’s hardwood floor. The homeowners policy covered floor
replacement and Home Systems Protection covered the broken dishwasher. Covered
alarm system, telephones, laptop, aquarium pumps, digital sound processor and
network switch did not work due to a surge when power was restored after an
outage. Inspection showed all equipment had been electrically damaged and had
to be replaced. Covered costs: $3,008
A repair company called in when a central vacuum
system would not work confirmed there had been extensive electrical damage to
the wiring and motor, but they could not locate replacement parts for the
system. A new system was installed. Covered cost: $1,170.
When no one was home, a
short in a blower motor caused a pellet stove to smoke and smoldering pellets
reached temperatures high enough to warp the hopper chamber. Smoke damage was
covered by the homeowners policy. Home Systems Protection covered the stove
replacement. Covered cost: $3,020.